Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Seeking advice on filling cracks

Lyn J. Mangiameli
>Well, I'm not sure if I have a prize or a punishment here, but I am now the owner of a large crotch chunk of Brazilian Rosewood. Dimensions are roughly 14 X 18 X 12 inches. It's about as cracked as you'd expect a piece of similar firewood to be, with most cracks probing down less than 2 inches but some almost as wide a quarter inch. If this was most anything other than real Brazilian Rosewood, it would become firewood or cut up for small boxes, etc, but being what it is, I'd like to salvage the largest bowl (s) I can tastefully generate from it.

Thus I'm thinking about trying to fill the cracks with something black prior to turning, but since I don't normally do this, I'm not sure of the best material to use. Should I try that new flexible black CA (seems too brittle and expensive, but should offer good penetration), epoxy (I never really use the stuff and hate mixing it, and I question how well it would penetrate, but it seems like it would have good life ), inlace (I have zero experience with the stuff) or something else.

All ideas with accompanying rationales would be most appreciated.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081