Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
A 'Hidden' Lathe in a Bench?

Aaron Cunningham - Bothell, WA
>A first question for all of you over here on the turning side of things...

I recently acquired a 1949 Delta Homecrafter lathe (mini gloat - free from the father of a work friend, along with a starter set of chisels and nice set of accessories (calipers, etc...), already mounted on a fairly substantial bench)

The 'problem' with this good fortune is that the space the lathe takes up is unusable, what with the lathe breaking up the surface of its bench and all. This wouldn’t be a problem if I had the time to start learning to turn, but I'm not likely to find that in the next 6-12 months (work and school constraints).

So, with the incoherent rambling out of the way, here is the question(s)...

1. Does anyone else have the David X. Manners "Complete Book of Home Workshops" (Recently acquired and it sparked my imagination, and this question)
2. If you have the book what do you think of the "hidden lathe" feature of the 4-Way Workbench (pp46-49)?

Would this be acceptable for a lathe, or would it cause more problems than the space it saves? The era of the book (1969) makes me suspicious of the practicality of some of the suggestions, as other books I have from that era have had ideas that tuned out to be a bit 'half baked', shall we say...

For anyone who doesn't have the book, Manners describes plans for a bench with an enclosed base. The top opens and is propped open. Then a lathe, which is attached to a mounting shelf, itself attached to the front of the carcase by a piano hinge, is then pivoted up 90 degrees to the 'Ready' position. The shelf is supported in the upright position by another 'flap'...

Oh, heck... I'll just scan the line drawings... Rummage, scan, mumble, scan....

Any advice or comments about the reality of a system like this would be greatly appreciated. I'm concerned with vibration and lathe stability, but I only know what little I've read here and nosing around on the internet, and am not sure what to be worried about

Thanks very much

Aaron

(All aproriate copyrights to owners as appropriate.)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081