Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Since my shop blew away...

BubbaBob
>...last week, I have been looking for an economical way to replace shop space, and make it a bit more weather friendly so I can turn regardless of the weather, especially with winter coming on. I was not looking forward to another winter of turning in 15 degree temps in a 10x10 open sided craft show tent. It makes for chatter marks whether you want them or not.

EURIKA!!!

A friend of mine recently built 3 buildings of mini warehouse/storage units. Just for the hell of it, I asked what the largest unit he had was, and how much he would charge me for it.

I now have a 625 sq ft shop (25x25) for 100 dollars a month.

No power or lights, but he has no problem with my hanging a couple of 4' flourescent fixtures, and there are three duplex outdoor outlets within 50 feet of my unit, and I don't have any high draw machines...Jet 1442 lathe, Jet 1014 midi lathe, Reliant 14" bandsaw, 6" VS grinder for sharpening, and a coffee maker. I will be adding a small bench drill press and a small belt/disc sander soon, but those, too, are low amp tools. Since I am a one man show, no two tools will be in use at once (unless you count the constantly on coffee pot), so I don't forsee any electrical problems.

Anyone else see any problems with this setup that I am missing?

BubbaBob

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081