Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Ron comes to visit

Bill Grumbine, Kutztown PA
>Greetings all

A little while ago Ron Sardo posted a gloat on finding some pretty looking cherry crotches. The problem was, they were way too big for his lathe. Ron had been down for lessons, and his whole family had come for the picnic, so I told him that if he wanted to come down and rough some of that wood out on the Poolewood, he was welcome to do so.

This morning he came rolling in with a stack of precut cherry blocks of some very nice size. The first piece had that disappointing feel when the wood is beautiful, but a fatal flaw is found. In this case it was a bark inclusion that went all the way through the chunk.

This piece came out much better. Here is Ron using my 3/4" Glaser gouge to tame this monster chunk.

Finished and ready to put away to dry. I won't say too much more in case Ron wants to add his perspective. I just want to say that it is a lot of fun getting together with other turners for the day. I was fiddling around with some flat stuff that needed doing, but I couldn't stand watching all those shavings flying about the shop without making a few of my own, so I fired up the Vicmarc mini and finished a small cherry burl core that had been lying around for a while. Pictures to come when the finish is dry.

Bill

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081