Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Some bottle stoppers *PIC*

Dominic Greco at home in sunny Richboro, PA
>Hello Everyone,

Here are a couple of pics of (3) bottle stoppers I turned this past weekend. They were turned using the PSI chrome and rubber stopper kits. Shown from left to right: they are Maple Burl with Turquoise, Figured Cherry, and Olive wood. The stoppers were all sanded to 600 grit, then sanded with Micromesh to 12000. After that, a Pad Lacquer (friction polish) was applied. I used PSI's Pad Lacquer friction polish. They sell a wood sealer, a semi gloss, and a high gloss. I gave each stopper about 4 coats of each finish. I liked it so much, I think I'm going to be using this as my "go to" finish for pens as well.

After the finish was applied, I buffed the stoppers with white diamond, then carnuaba wax. (I know, I know. Renaissance wax would be the next logical step. But I don't have any yet. It's on order and will be here on the 9th.)

I know I could have made a mandrel myself. But I actually went and purchased the bottle stopper mandrel and drill kit from PSI at the same time. Heck, it was only $10.00. I was actually quite impressed with how well it worked. And since it only came in 1"-8 TPI, I HAD to get my Midi out from under the work bench and set it up. I forgot how much fun it was using that baby.

I know this sort of reads like a PSI commercial. But they had the supplies I needed. And they seem to have undergone a change for the better in terms of in-store service. I like dealing with the people there much more than I used to.

The funny thing about the blanks for this project, aside from the olive wood, they all came from the trash bin! When I first started looking around for wood for bottle stopper blanks, all I had was the olive wood I purchased (from PSI as well!). Then I took a long look in the 40 gallon trashcan I use as a "to-burn" scrap bin. I found pieces of cherry, walnut, maple burl, ambrosia maple, Osage orange, hickory, and sycamore. While all of these hand been sorted through for scraps suitable in size for pen blanks, I hadn't thought of bottle stoppers. After some work with the bandsaw, I ended up with about (30) assorted 2" sq x 3" long blanks. Not too shabby eh?

Thanks for viewing.

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081