Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
New Lathe *PIC*

Mark Kauder, Phenix City, AL
>Well, I finally did it. I got a bigger lathe. My shop space is limited, and I learned from having my club's Jet1642 in there for two weeks, that as much as I might like some lathes, any new lathe's footprint in my shop would be an issue.
I have been looking at the Vega 2400 for a couple of years now. I got a chance to look at one in the flesh and turn for a few minutes on it last fall in Statesville, NC., and I liked what I saw.
After helping Vega sell the VS motors they had for Mini lathes, they told me that if I was in the market for a bigger lathe, that they would give a good deal.
So, this last weekend, I took posession of a Vega 2400 at the IWF2004 show in Atlanta. They gave me a good deal, and I was able to avoid shipping costs. I finally got it in the shop (with the help of 3 healthy co-workers) at noon on Monday, and had it up and running by 8pm that night.
At present I have only "played" a little with it - mounting a couple of 14" Ambrosia Sycamore bowls that I roughed out on the 1642 back in April. Since they are still not 100% dry, I just "re-rounded" them so that I can now let them finish drying in the house.
My initial impression is very, very good. Powerful, smooth, small footprint, 500lbs and has space in the bottom for more ballast. I love the ability to stand right in front of the bowl w/o the bed in the way and turn with the tool handle really low on my hip (a la a VB36).
I am not a fan of the tool rest, though it is not as bad as my first impression of it was. It is steel, and makes more noise than a cast Iron one. I am a fan of the Best Wood Tool rest system, and have several, but do not yet have a post to fit this lathe.

Just thought I would post these pictures today.

My Jet Mini and cabinet is backed up against it - still not sure what to do with that.

I intend to write a more thorough review after I have explored this critter for a while.

Mark

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081