Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Small Sycamore Bowl *PIC*

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA
>Hi Everyone,

Below are some pictures of a Sycamore bowl I just finished last night. The wood came from a huge slab that Ron from Drums PA gave when we both attended Bill Grumbine's famous "5 Barns BBQ".

Having never turned Sycamore before, I had no idea what to expect. While I was cutting the slab up into blanks, I got a glimpse of some of the hidden figure. The grain pattern looked like a smaller, tighter version of lacewood! The scraps looked so good, that I cut them up for pen blanks. I call this "the Buffalo treatment". Why? Cause the Plains Indians were said to make use of every scrap from a buffalo hunt! :>)

I found turning Sycamore to be a lot like Beech. When dry, it's somewhat brittle. You need to have your tools well honed to maintain a nice crisp edge. You should also consider sealing the wood before trying to apply a finish. If you don't, you'll get blotches where the end grain has soaked up more of the finish than the face grain. I applied a coat of my home made sanding sealing with is a mixture of 50% mineral spirits and 50% varnish. If this sounds like the same mixture I use to wet sand, you're right. However, I recently purchased a can of Bull's Eye sanding sealer and will try that out on the next several sycamore bowls I have in production. I'll tell you all how I made out.

As you can see, this bowl blank didn't have the spectacular grain pattern that the pen blanks had. So I decided to concentrate on the shape more. I added a small lip, with a burned ring at the rim to give it definition. The base also got a set of concentric burned rings.

Specs:

Outer dia.: 7 3/8"

Height: 2 3/8"

Wall thickness: 1/4"

Base dia.: 3 1/4"

Sanding Method: Dry sanded to 2000 Grit.

Finish: Watco's Danish Oil

Final: Buffed with Beall System

Thanks for viewing.

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081