Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Wood gloat

Robert Tarr
>Well gang, the gloat from Monday is paying off. The fine fellow at the town works called me last night to let me know he had a large piece of black walnut if I wanted it. I said sure and that I would be right down. I should have known something was up when he asked how long the bed of my truck was....I get there and he has sawed the log into three sections, each 6 feet long and about 16-18 inches in diameter. I was able to load them into the back of my truck (heavy as they are fresh) and got them home. Since I work in the basement and don't like bugs in the house, I used a straight hoe as a bark spud and removed the bark from all three. Split one in half and then took a 3 inch section from it (will be the seat for a new shaving horse) and cut up the rest of it for blanks for bowls. I also cut up half of another log for bowls...man, that is a lot of work with a tiny chainsaw and I can't wait for the UPS man to get here with the Stihl's.

It was getting late, so I put the biggest log and a half in the shed and took the rest of my spoils downstairs. My wife did some skill drills on a piece of wet cherry and then I cut and mounted up one of the walnut blanks for a bowl. I got the outside roughed and am really feeling the need for quality and long handled tools. I put the blank in a trash bag and will get back to it tonight after a session of sharpening things.

Thanks for all the great info on process and tools here guys. Given me the info and encouragement to jump off of yet, another woodworking cliff.

Robert

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081