Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
End Grain Hollowing problems

Tug Fork Bob
>Lately I have been making goblets from spindle-oriented box elder, spalted hackberry, cherry and honey locust. I have been having a problem with chatter when hollowing the inside of the goblet. I have been following this process:

a. True up log between centers and turn either a spigot for my spigot jaws or a "dovetail" spigot for the "Powergrip" jaws on my Supernova chuck. At this point the rounded blank is something like 3-1/2" Dia. & 9" long.

b. Chuck on the spigot, use the tailstock center and turn the outside of goblet "bowl". I only shape it far enough down to visualize where the inside has to get turned.

c. Move the tailstock back & hollow the inside with a 3/8" fingernail ground bowl gouge. The only way I can hollow it is with a very light cut & a very sharp tool. I have tried cutting from the center out, but cutting from outside in seems to work just as well. I have also tried shear scraping using a round nose scraper from the inside. It chatters no matter what so I end up with tiny chips and lots of sanding.

After hollowing I pad the live center & bring it up to support the inside of the goblet & finish the stem & base with no problem.

Is this the nature of the beast with end grain hollowing, do I need a steady rest or ??

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob Achenbach

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081