Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Shipping Lacquered Bowls - Russ??

Mark Kauder. Phenix City, AL
>I have have a problem with a couple lacquered bowls that I have packed - on a couple of occasions.

I have been wrapping my lacquered bowls in soft - well laundered t-shirts before packing in other material (Bubble Wrap, foam beads and the like then a box). On a couple of occasions, not always, the t-shirt material has imprinted a light pattern of the fabric on the lacquer. Not all over, just in some places.

Most recently, I took my daughter up to orientation at Virgina Tech. I brought two bowls to sand at night while in the motel. The next day I wrapped them in T-shirts, and then tied them in plastic bags and put them in the back seat of the car. When I got home last night, one of the bowls had several fabric marks on it (it was wrapped in cotton t-shirts) one did not, it was wrapped in Cotton/Poly Golf shirts. I am not sure the fabric difference is the issue.

These bowls were last shot with lacquer over 10 days ago. In one earlier case the bowl was over 4 months old when the fabric impinting happened.

Is heat an issue? One bowl may have been in the sunlight more that the other in the car. I have also had this happen while shipping with UPS.

HELP - this is not so much a problem where I am at the destination end and can sand/buff out the blemish but it is a problem if I am shipping to a gallery.

Any Ideas on safely shipping?

Mark

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081