Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Norfolk Pine Bowls, Pics

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

OK, second post of pics for me today. These two bowls were turned from a hunk of Norfolk Pine I got from David Chung in Hawaii. I sent him some eastern hardwoods and he sent me a NP log. If you get a chance to get some and turn it, do it as this stuff is great to turn. These were both turned wet and were a blast. I could get really, really long streamers coming off of these when roughing them out. It was like long pieces of confetti flying off the tool. More fun than a puddle of mud :)

Both of these are end grain turned, sorry I didn't think to get a pic of the bowl looking down on it to show the pith, but you can sort of get that idea from the lit pictures below. One of the bowls has the characteristic "eyes" and the other one doesn't.

Critiques and comments are welcome. After turning to form wet, I soaked them in danish oil for a few days, remounted and wet sanded them with the oil. I then let the oil dry for a few days and buffed them with the Beall. Wet sanding with the oil really ate up the sandpaper in a hurry.

These "light" pictures were taken by me holding the bowl up to a recessed ceiling light. Not the best method, but you get the idea of the translucent nature of Norfolk Pine.

Thanks for taking a look,

Mike

1 day till vacation in Apex, NC!!

Messages In This Thread

Norfolk Pine Bowls, Pics
Re: Norfolk Pine Bowls, Pics
Nice! *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081