Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
A bowl and a vase, Pics

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

I've finally been able to get some time back on the lathe after "flat projects" monopolized my time for a while. Here's a pair of small items that I've recently turned.

First is a small vase of spalted birch that Dominic Greco sent my way about a year ago. It was a nice sized piece of wood, but unfortunately, I ended up with two small sections instead of one larger one. This vase is about 3.5 inches tall and 1.5 inches across. Finish is Tried and True varnish and then Beall buffed.

Second is a small piece of Amboyna Burl I got from Gilmer Hardwoods in Portland, OR. This stuff was fabulous to turn and I cannot wait to get some more. While it was a fairly expensive wood, it was very nice to turn and took a finish that was amazing. You cannot really tell from the pic, but the finish is as close as I've ever come to a "wet" finish. Same as above, this was T&T and Beall buffed. This is about 4 inches across and 1.5 high.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for taking a look, these are not the best photographs, unfortunately.

Thanks,

Mike

Ready for a holiday in Apex, NC!!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081