Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Natural Edge Maple Burl Hollow Form *PIC*

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA
>Hi Everyone,

Here are some pictures of a natural edge maple burl hollow form I completed this weekend. This is more of the same burl Bill Grumbine gave me. I think this piece is more representative of the kind of figure and "swirl" you get in a maple burl.

This is the first time I've tried turning a natural edge hollow form. To be accurate, it's about the third "real" hollow form I've ever turned. But when I first cut up the burl, I really didn't want to loose the character that the bark gave this piece. So I decided to keep it "natural". It is a bit more tricky thank I originally thought, but not impossible.

Forming the outside was east. Simple bowl gouge work, followed by shear scraping. The internal hollowing was all accomplished with a Scorpion Hollowing tool. I think this was a real test of the tool. Overall, I am very happy with way it performed.

One neat little trick I used on this hollow form was one I picked up from reading Pen Turning websites. The holes left by borers can easily be filled with ca glue and saw dust. But they stop looking like holes. I wanted to maintain this illusion. So I used some dust from a charcoal pencil (used in sketching) and mixed that with sawdust. A drop of thin CA glue was all it took to solidify this mix.

Natural Edge Maple Burl Hollow form Specs:

• Outer dia.: 6 3/4"

• Max. Height: 7 3/4"

• Wall thickness: 1/4"

• Base dia.: 2 5/8"

• Sanding Method: Dry sanded to 2500 Grit.

• Finish: Watco's Danish Oil

• Final: Buffed with Beall System (minus the Tripoli)

I look forward to your comments and critiques.

Thanks for viewing.

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081