Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
A bowl and a smile *PIC*

Richard Allen
>I bought a plank of Padauk a while back. 6 1/2" wide 4" thick and 5' long. When I saw the wood at the lumber store I saw lidded bowls. Well that was back in February. So many ideas, so little time.

I was told that our receptionist is leaving for an opportunity to become a D.C. police officer. She has always been nice to me, on the few occasions that we have had cause to interact ("How does this darn fax machine work?" I ask. She says "Can I send that for you?" stuff like that.) So I thought to myself that it was a good time to make one of those lidded bowls.

The bowl took about 2 hours to make but the effort was worth the time. I have now cursed her to think of me every time she sees that bowl.

The bowl has a slightly sloped out rim and the lid has a slightly sloped in rim so the lid tends to center itself. The bright orange color will quickly fade to red-brown but it looks glorious now.

I tried making a second lidded bowl last night. I was less successful. I guess the plank will go into hiding for a few months till the urge strikes me again.

So the best part of this turning is the way I felt when I knew she really liked receiving it.

Thanks

Richard

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081