Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
What do ya think????

KurtK in Indy
>I was out on a call today and stopped by a lumber mill that does hardwood for the furniture industry. I stop by periodically to see if they've got any cut offs or stumps.

Well, today I go there and the guy tells me he's got a big burl and my eyes light up. He says he's trying to sell it but doesn't know what to ask. I say...hey...maybe we look at it and I give you a price. I'm thinking it is a 50-60 pounder.....

We walk out to the yard and we turn the corner and there in the way is a white oak burl that is wrapped around the trunk of the tree. Now this trunk is probably 30" diameter and the burl is easily 15-18" thick around that. It was probably 42-48" tall and my rough guesstimate was that it weighed around 400-500#.

I wonder...should I make him an offer to buy it and then try to sell the chunks? How much should I offer? Is anyone here interested in investing or buying chunks?

I will try to get some pics and post. From what I saw...the grain pattern is really something. I'm not sure what white oak looks or turns like, but he did say that there was a veneer guy who may be interested on a consignment basis.

Any input would be appreciated.

Kurt

Messages In This Thread

What do ya think????
Re: What do ya think????
Re: What do ya think????
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081