Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Spalted Beaded Poplar Bowl *PIC*

David Propst
>Hey Everybody!

This is a spalted poplar bowl that I turned in January, but just finished last weekend.

It is approximately largest 9.5x5" diameter, walls 3/8", finished with many coats of clear Deft as a sealer and a final coat of Lee Valley Polymerized Tung Oil and Beall buffed.

I turned the form and decided to put a couple of beads on the rim and then got carried away! I used a Sorby Beading tool. The beads are far from perfect, but the spalting makes inconsistencies very unnoticeable to the non-turner. After beading it I “flattened” the beads with a light passes of a 3/8th gouge. I thought the bumpy profile was too much with the spalting. Your opinions are appreciated.

This was an awesome wood find, I had driven by this half log on a cleared lot for months and I finally stopped to check it out one day early last spring before it was covered up with weeds. After the first cut with the chainsaw I was probably dancing with excitement. I have a series of rough turned hollow forms in this wood on which I intend to put ebony collars when I get back to turning.

Only seven more months of school and then I'll be back on a regular basis!

My best regards to all of you!

David

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081