Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Got the Bowl Gouge... *PIC*

Tony - Memphis
>Tried to get it shipped in before the long weekend so I'd have something to play with, but I missed the cutoff by 19 minutes! Oh well. Anyway, I got the Sorby 3/8" fingernail grind. First thing I did was sharpen it on a Tormek. For reference, the 65mm - "2" setting on the 180 jig worked perfect. Took mere minutes to shine it up. Took longer to fill the grinder up with water than to grind the tool!

This is a pic of my effort. This is a paintbrush holder thing. My wife paints and currently keeps her brushes in a Pat Obrien's Hurricane glass, but that's too tippy. So I decided to do something outside the box for me anyway and designed up this artsy looking thing. I've had the flat maple for a few years - I think it was leftover instrument cuttings. They had a pile of the 6x24 boards at the wood store. The other maple pieces are leftovers from other projects. No finish on it yet. I did finish an offcut and the curl is really nice after three coats/sanding. Anyway, my sphere ain't round, and the base didn't turn out quite as I wanted, but here it is anyway. I'll add some lead in the base this weekend and at least get a couple of coats of finish on it. I need to do a bit more sanding.

Oh, the "waves" were inspired by our love of the Gulf Coast. We just spent a week on the beach in Seaside. Used a french curve. But then, we were in Starbucks the other day and I noticed a display that has sides in a similar fashion...as much time as I spend in Starbucks, I'm sure that stuck in my brain, so I had to give credit. But when I designed the top cuts, I was indeed thinking of the beach! As I am now! Hmmm..how about a cup of Starbucks on the beach! Yeah, now we are talking. Actually, our morning routine was to get up at 6:30, throw on a tshirt, hit the vacant beach, then walk down the beach to the market in Watercolor to get a chocolate croissant and a cup of Starbucks....what a life.

Tony

Messages In This Thread

Got the Bowl Gouge... *PIC*
Re: Got the Bowl Gouge...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081