Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Pen Assembly and Finishing questions

Chuck Ludwigsen
>Please hang in here for some questions at the end.

I use my drill press with a flat head bolt chucked in it to insert the parts of the pens I've started making. I had great luck with the first 5 pens I made and then tragedy happened.

I over-inserted the twist mechanism on Deluxe kits 3 times. I was able to save the turned barrels and reassemble by ripping out the pen tip and using a drill bit in backwards to press out the mechanism. I now have a few kits worth of spare parts as I had to "borrow" the tips to replace the damaged ones.

This morning, while standing in my think tank (shower) the light bulb went on. Why haven't I been setting the drill press max depth to control over-insertion of the twist mechanisms???

I will try that tonight on another pen I'm working on.

So now for the questions...

1) If I invest in a pen press, will I have to manually control insertion depth or does it have stops similar to the drill press max depth?

2) If I invest in the disassembly tool, are the components (tip, twist mechanism, etc) re-usable?

3) I've started trying the CA finish on a couple pens and REALLY like it. Should I still use a sanding sealer after the 220 or 320 grit and at what grit should I stop and apply the CA? Also, what grits do you recommend post CA application?

Thanks for any and all help.

Chuck in Memphis, TN.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081