Turning Archive 2004

Bowl Gouge type?

Tony - Memphis
>I asked about whether I should get a bowl gouge the other day. I am making a vase type thing for my wife to keep pain brushes in. I want to make a plinth or pedestal type base for it. You guys said I did need a bowl gouge. Ok, so now I'm wondering if I should get the Sorby plain bowl gouge or the fingernail grind? I didn't realize that there were two options. Thanks for the help. Oh, to qualify...I'm very much a rookie at turning. I will probably never turn a bowl. I make furniture and little things like this. So I do need to build all the turning skills, but bowls aren't my thing. Oh, also, what size would be good for stuff like this? I was thinking 3/8"? Thanks.


© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.