Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Thoughts and ? re: spindle extender

Mike Schwing from Maryland
>Hi all.

I have been using, very happily, a spindle extender from BestWoodTools.com, on my PM 3520a. I have been very impressed by this piece of machine work, its is extremely beefy, and very, very accurate, producing no measurable runout as compared to the spindle alone.

I really enjoy the extra working distance away from the headstock (4"), and while I have some long term worries about the effect it might have on the bearings, I use it anyway.

I have two design improvements for it, and have twice communicated them to the maker, with no response, so I'm considering making them myself.

One - it should have a set screw to lock it in place. Aggressive braking or reverse operation _could_ allow it to screw itself off. It never has and in fact I need a pipe wrench to get it off when needed.

Two - now that I'm using a vacuum chuck system, I REALLY REALLY want to bore a hole in the extender so I can use it with the vac system. I'd need to send it to a machine shop for both fixes, this is hardened steel I couldn't possibly bore on my own.

Thoughts?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081