Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Maple Burl

dave caudill
>A friend of mine was helping an arborist cut some trees to improve his view and told me about some interesting wood. Well he brought me a sample and it turns out its all maple burl and the fellow cutting it is not interested and the fellow who owns it is rolling it down an embankment to get rid of it. This is where I come in. I think I've got the permission to go get as much of it as I can carry away. Supposedly there is a five foot stump still there and it is all burl not to mention a log of six feet or so he rolled down the hill.

I've never turned burl before and am not sure the best method for cutting it into blanks etc. Any ideas? I did write the other day and ask about coating it and since then have ordered some Anchorseal to seal the cut faces.

This stuff is pretty neat. You pull off the bark and it has what looks like thorns sticking out of it. Quite interesting and beautiful. I'd like to turn some now but have not done any green turning and am not sure if burl would turn well green. Anyone have experience with this? I wasn't expecting this so I was caught a little off balance and have to move fast and get it all taken care of.

Any thoughts on how to cut this stuff up would be appreciated. I'll try and get some photos to post when I get to it.

Dave

Messages In This Thread

Maple Burl
Re: Maple Burl
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081