Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
PM3520A Help Please

Jerry Hall
>I am close to deciding to buy a 3520 based on what I see as very positive feedback from the AAW site and Wood Central. I have the following questions to help me close in on my decision:

1. It seems that the 3520 is a highly regarded lathe and is in use by well experienced capable turners, and that it is a lathe that you could grow a long way with. Is this right?

2. Is this overkill for a first lathe? I am an experienced, serious woodworker, but have only turned two bowls, one on a Nova DVR and the other on a big Oneway at a seminar by our local club. I did a some long (7') simple spindle work on an old shopsmith. I think I have the bug, and am willing to invest in this price range to see where I go, if it makes sense as a first lathe.

3. I plan to order a remote switch and a short tool rest. Any other options that are recommended for an initial order?

4. Are the locking levers on the 3520 easy to use, and effective? I read some recent concerns about their usability. I was most impressed with the ease of use of the locking levers on the Oneway, less so with the Nova.

5. Has Jet been a good service provider on the Powermatic line?

Great forum. Thanks for your consideration.

Jerry Hall

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081