Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
My first hollow form (PICs)

Mike Schwing from Maryland
>This was one of those special blanks that I didn't think I could do proper justice with my turning skills. But you guys convinced me to have a go at it anyway. I've been working on this for a week, and just finished it on the buffing wheels. It is about 11" high, and the walls are anywhere from 1/8" to 3/8" thick. This was very difficult but rewarding. I turned it wet and it was dry by the time I was done. Finished with laquer and buffed on the wheels. I used the large Kelton hollowing tools and loved the heavy duty mass behind them.

MY critiques first, and I'd be happy to have yours as well. I would have liked to make the entrance hole smaller, it is about 1 1/8" wide. I had a very hard time narrowing the outside of the neck. I need to practice making beads and coves more before trying this again. I think the top should be smaller in diameter and the inward curve of the neck (outside) should actually be a continuous curve (I tried, but need practice). I'm satisfied with the outside curve, I don't see any flat spots and it curves all the way down to the bottom. Sanding was satisfactory but not perfect. First time I ever added any details to anything, ever, and they seem to be appropriate to me. The inlay is 2 part epoxy and "Disco Black" glitter from Michael's.

Anyway, thanks for encouraging me. This was fun and I suspect I'll be turning fewer bowls from now on.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081