Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Flat bevel for turning tools

Brad Vietje
>I have been away a few days, and wrote the following response to the concave vs. convex question, then realized very few would see it because it was from about a week ago -- I've re-posted it here. Sorry to chime in so late on this; I've been away due to adeath in the family -- perhaps we can re-open the thread here.

First, I'm very glad we have a more mature group here than at r.c.w., where I have been called all manner of insults for discussing this topic and tool sharpening. Many turners are unable to discuss a topic like this without getting pretty hot under the collar; I just can't see why people get so attached to turning dogma.

Some folks view a convex bevel as a specialty tool for finishing the bottoms of pieces, where it works well. I have long held that a convex bevel was best inside a bowl, and a concave bevel best on the outside of the bowl, for all the reasons Russ stated so well. Therefore, I grind most of my tools with a flat bevel, as a reasonable compromise, and I'm very pleased with the results. I also have one spindle gouge ground with a convex bevel for back-hollowing end grain, where it is much better than a hollow ground tool.

Flat bevels are often frowned upon by people who want to hone their tools a lot, and rightly so -- honing by hand will tend to produce a convex bevel, which many people seem to want to avoid (sometimes for entirely dogmatic reasons, however). The answer, I believe, is to use a sharpening system that produces a flat bevel with a very fine edge, removes very little metal, and is as quick, (or quicker than) honing, thus eliminating the need for most honing. Such a beast can be constructed simply and cheaply by using a 12" disk sander, and a "V" block that can be set to a number of positions for accuracy and repeatability.

Works slick as a trout, really. I built such a system that is cobbled onto the end of an old Shopsmith, sharpening on the "up" side of the disk for most applications, though both sides are used for a flat-bevel approximation of the Ellsworth grind, with the Ellsworth jig anchored in a hole at the correct distance from the spinning disk. I use a 150 grit disk, and I have another 80 grit for any rapid grinding or re-shaping I want to do. I can turn away from the lathe, face the old SS, step on a foot switch, sharpen the tool, and be back at my turning in about 7 seconds.

I hone the inside of the flute for finishing cuts, but not very often do I hone the bevel. This is absolutely the slickest way on earth to sharpen a skew, especially one with a curved bevel -- just set it in the V-block (at the proper location), and rock it from side to side on both sides -- takes about 3 seconds. I hand sharpen a few tools, but use the V-blocks as a jig for most, so a tool can be re-sharpened in 5-7 seconds, removing only the slightest bit of metal, and producing very little heat.

My position is that if you can get a real sharp tool without honing, and without grinding your expensive tools to dust, there would be a lot less honing, and people would be sharpening a lot more often, which is good for the end result.

I find that many people hone a tool 25 times or so to AVOID sharpening, because they either hate sharpening, or have a frustrating experience at it, or have never found a way to get a consistant bevel geometry, so when they finally get the tool to work correctly, they spend the next 3 months trying "not to screw it up", and many end up using dull or mis-shapen tools that hurt their turnings and their enjoyment of the sport. I usually sharpen the tool to maintain a sharp edge, and rarely wait until the tool starts performing poorly; I might re-sharpen 5 or 6 times finish turning a single bowl.

If you've never tried the flat bevel experience, try it -- you may like it.

Safe spinning,

Brad Vietje
Thetford, VT

Messages In This Thread

Flat bevel for turning tools
Re: Flat bevel for turning tools
Re: Flat bevel for turning tools
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081