Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Tung Oil question:

David Hammond, in Powder Springs GA
>I'm finally getting a bunch of bowls near tung oil perfection, for an open house I'm planning in July. I've got about twenty in various stages, and five or six that are within a final coat. The finish is looking great - I've sanded with oil through 1000 grit, and have at least five or six coats on these five or six bowls that are really close. The finish is a nice, deep high gloss, but the feel of the oil is a little harsh, a little less "smooth" than it looks. Not that it feels as if they are scratches or trash in the finish, but the oil just has a hardness to it, that isn't quite as appealing as I'd like. I'd like to try rubbing down these bowls with paste wax to deepen the shine, and give the bowls a softer, more tactile feel to them. Pro's an con's with paste wax? I noticed Dominic buffed his tung oil finished cherry bowl with the Beall system, which I believe uses carnabua (sp?) wax on the final buff - would that be a better route? I like the gloss, but I'm looking for a better feel, a somewhat deeper finish, something a little more like old furniture that has been waxed and rubbed for years. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

David

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081