Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Profile Sharpening Tip (Long)

Steve Ferrency
>I have just set up a grinding system with a Wolverine Grinding jig and wanted to reprofile one of my bowl gouges to something near the "Ellsworth grind" to see how I would like it. Only having the instructions that came with the Wolverine and only pictures of similar profiles from the WC Grind Library, I wondered how I could change the profile without wrecking a good tool and I also wanted to minimize steel loss on the tool.

The solution I came up with was to try a test grind using a piece of steel rod. I happened to have a piece of 5/8" rod. I was going to reprofile a 3/8" bowl gouge, but I figured I could practice on the 5/8" rod and then go to the bowl gouge. I set up the Wolverine to put the standard bowl gouge profile on the end of the rod - just using the "V" arm and rolling the rod to duplicate the grind angle on the bowl gouge. I had to guess at the starting distance of the "V" arm from the wheel, but after I had a 1/8" bevel ground, I set the angle on a sliding bevel and then checked it against the angle on the bowl gouge. I had to adjust the arm once and then got quite close to the bowl gouge grind. I wanted to do this so I could start the reprofile from the same profile that I would be starting from on the gouge.

Then I set up the Vari-grind jig according to the directions that came with it. I set the rod to extend 1 3/4" out of the jig and then I approximated the distance of the "V" to the wheel to get the proper nose angle. I ground about an 1/8" bevel, set the sliding bevel to that angle and checked it using a protractor. I found I wasn't grinding the nose to a steep enough angle and reset the "V" arm. I had to adjust a few times to get the correct angle. Then I started grinding the side profile. When I got the profile I wanted, everything was set correctly to replace the steel rod with the gouge I wanted to reprofile. (If the "V" arm is set for the profile you want and you set the same distance when setting the tool in the Vari-grind jig, you duplicate the grind that you made on the rod.)

I replaced the steel rod with the gouge and started grinding. I ground slowly and paid attention to not overgrinding the nose which is very easy to do. The sides needed quite a bit of grinding to get the profile I wanted, but I was able to duplicate the profile I had created on the steel rod.

I haven't had a chance to try the new profile on a bowl, but I had a waste block from a previous bowl still on a faceplate and took a few swipes at it. Very nice cutting profile! I like it!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081