Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Wood Find & Questions *long*

Ryan McMullen
>Well, going home from work the other day I noticed some wood laying on the side of the road, neatly covered by tree limbs and branches. Yesterday as I was going to work, I slowed down to see if I could see what the wood was. It looked like Cherry, and nice sized pieces at that, so I decided that at lunch I would go a and save a few pieces from the Memphis landfill. Well, they are not cherry, but rather cedar, the kind that has that wonderfull cedar smell. So I grabbed a 3 logs, no easy task as these logs were 27" long and averaged 16" in diameter. So last night I spent the evening cutting up the logs and sealing them.

This one shows the 3 logs. They had some bad checking but I figured that they were long enought that I could cut it away and have good wood.

Here is a view with the CS sitting on the logs. To give some scale the CS is an 18" poulan.

And here is the pile of Cedar after cutting.

Now a question or 2. I noticed while sealing the pieces of cedar that they were already starting to crack - it it common for cedar to crack this fast? I'm hopeing I will get some workable wood out of this. And should I rough turn these pcs or finish turn?

Thanks for lookin'

Ryan

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081