Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
I have been asked to make some fox hunting horns

Mike Schwing from Maryland
>And at seeing the opportunity to learn something new, accepted. Now I know how much I don't know!

I started this evening, using a sample to guide me. This is quite a challenge, as I'm no spindle turner.

The original/sample is about 150 years old and made in 3 pieces. The smallest internal diameter is 3/8" except for the mouthpiece hole which is maybe 1/8".

I have dry cherry stock for this project. Tell me if this method is workable or if you can help me improve upon it, please do so, because I'm CERTAIN I don't have all of the good ideas.

I chuck the blank, as square, in my nova jaws from the start so I won't have to retrue it and lose diameter when I move from centers to chuck jaws. The other end is centermarked and supported by the tailstock. The blank is reduced to a cylinder, more or less, retaining as much mass as possible. I then use the tailstock thru-hole to drill down the center to a predetermined depth. Then the outside of the horn profile is formed, for about 2 inches. Then I remove the tailstock, and hollow the interior to that same depth. Then form the outside another inch, then do the same for the inside. Follow this procedure all the way down.

This is the only way I could come up with that would preserve enough mass to keep the workpiece from skittering and moving with tool pressure. It seems to be working fine, and thus far the wall thickness is about 1/16-3/32", which about matches the original. How they managed this 150 years ago I have no idea!

Forming the mouthpiece will be no big deal. I have not yet built a steady rest, but this project is a good excuse to buy a set of smaller tools.

Thanks!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081