Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Nova 3000 DVR -- Impressions Please.

Brad Vietje
>Folks,

I'm collecting opinions on the DVR as a multi-user club lathe. As such, it needs to be relatively trouble free, and user friendly. One of the clubs I belong to is about to purchase a club lathe that will be used for demos at meetings, but will also be used to do public outreach in varied locations.

I am working on a proposal to mount the DVR on a rugged wooden bench/cabinet, and incorporate large diameter (18-20") removable wheels on the headstock end, and wheel barrow sorta handles on the tailstock end for transport. (C.H. -- the secret's out !)

If you have experience with this lathe, good or bad, please do tell ! I'm especially interested in how well it would work with a number of different (competent) users -- must be easy to learn how to use the touchpad controlls for this purpose, and especially re-starting the lathe with a heavy blank attached during rough turning operations. We want to insure that someone doesn't start a chunk of wood at 2500 RPM. Your responses will be appreciated.

Safe Spinning,

Brad Vietje
Thetford, VT

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081