Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
lathe tooling concepts, help

dave jeske
>I usually hang out on the hand tool forum but I do have a few powered tools including a lathe which I am learning how to use. I figured I would go right to the experts for some insight/advice. Most of what I am currently doing is small (1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter) spindle turning. I am at the point where I can use a skew and a spindle gouge with reasonable success and know how to sharpen the tools. My problem is I do not get consistant results when going from one wood type to another. I can turn cocobolo almost glass smooth with a skew and get good results with cherry, etc but not as good as cocobolo. When I turn figured wood such as curly walnut or maple I cannot get a great finish right off the tool. In the hand tool world I use a higher pitch angle iron in my plane and a very small mouth opening, etc and can get very nice results. So... what are the tricks in the turning world? Different tool, grind, approach angle? I really hate to sand and want to get that same freshly cut fiber look I can get with a hand plane.

Thanks for any help in advancing my skills.
dave

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081