Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Cherry coloring problem *PIC*

Dominic Greco in Sunny Richboro PA
>Hi Everyone,

I have been working on a 15" diameter Wild Cherry Salad bowl for the last couple days and I'm just about ready to finish it. I have wet sanded it to 2000 grit and the surface is as smooth as a baby's behind.

However, as you can see in the picture below I have a bit of a blotching problem between the heartwood and sapwood. I tried to orient blotch this so it would be turned away. But it ran deeper than I had anticipated.

Now I was thinking,...which is always a dangerous thing for me to do, about using a gel stain to make this all a uniform color. I've seen Norm use a finishing technique on a recent episode of NYW in which he stains, then adds gel stain. Or something to that effect.

• Part of me says, "Should I even bother?". It's wood a what we see as defects can be interpreted as the random nature of wood, and therefore something to be accepted.

• If I do decide to color it, what kind of stains do I use? And what's the process? I want to maintain that "cherry" or "dark mahogany" coloration traditionally associated with cherry.

Thanks in advance.

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081