Turning Archive 2004

Cherry coloring problem *PIC*

Dominic Greco in Sunny Richboro PA
>Hi Everyone,

I have been working on a 15" diameter Wild Cherry Salad bowl for the last couple days and I'm just about ready to finish it. I have wet sanded it to 2000 grit and the surface is as smooth as a baby's behind.

However, as you can see in the picture below I have a bit of a blotching problem between the heartwood and sapwood. I tried to orient blotch this so it would be turned away. But it ran deeper than I had anticipated.

Now I was thinking,...which is always a dangerous thing for me to do, about using a gel stain to make this all a uniform color. I've seen Norm use a finishing technique on a recent episode of NYW in which he stains, then adds gel stain. Or something to that effect.

• Part of me says, "Should I even bother?". It's wood a what we see as defects can be interpreted as the random nature of wood, and therefore something to be accepted.

• If I do decide to color it, what kind of stains do I use? And what's the process? I want to maintain that "cherry" or "dark mahogany" coloration traditionally associated with cherry.

Thanks in advance.

See ya around,

My ugly mug

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.