Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Winged Bowl in Olive (Feedback welcomed)

David Eaves
>Hi there,

Been back in the workshop today, late afternoon and into the evening.
I attacked a 5" square Spanish Olivewood blank I had bought from a supplier along with what you guys call anchorseal. (While I was ordering thought I'd get something a bit different to turn)

With it being square and having a fascination with square stuff.. I decided whatever I made would have square bits. :o)

First job was straightening the blank up with a handsaw (nothing powered to do it yet) Then knowing what shape I had in mind I cut two slithers off to make pens with.

The wood itself had quite a few shakes, which is to be expected according to my book. Anyhow having heard good things about it I started turning away hoping it wood be tight grained enough to hold the square edges.

I wasn't dissapointed it turns really well, quite soft but will take fine detail. Very oily wood, I ended up with a hairdryer on it to help sanding. It smells nice to turn too. Made sure I cleaned up properly before coming in though... the oil is supposed to be very corrosive to steel. I cleaned all the steel that had been in contact with white spirit too just to be safe.

Here's the form I ended up with, sanded up to 400 sanding sealer applied and then fine sanded again. Finish is briwax and burinshed with paper cloth.

This I think is my best bowl for having square detail now, I think I've finally sussed how to get the flowing wings right. Not perfect but I think the next one should be the last "development" one :o)
I'd appreciate any thoughts on the form and design.
It was going to have square corners but I lost one due to a crack which I didn't get the CA glue on quick enough. I decided to radius them to match. I took them in quite a bit I'm pleased with how this turned out.

This was quite a hard beastie to get a photo of without getting distortion from the lense.

Thanks

David

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081