Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
First projects

Susie M.
>Last week I bought a Jet 1442 lathe and a basic set of Delta tools. I hauled and set the lathe up by myself VERY CAREFULLY! Thank the Lord for furniture dollies. I have turned 4 pieces now. My first was a candle holder from a piece of old walnut (4x4) the second was a miniature baseball bat for my son from an old dowel. Then out of a little piece of scrap pine or fir or something I made a "hairpin." It is a thing I stick in my hair to hold it in a bun. It is about the size of a ballpoint pen.

Today I made a rolling pin. It is made from a piece of mulberry out of the firewood pile. I was going to make it a little thicker, but a couple minor gouges forced me to keep turning away. The ends fit my hands just right, and I don't think the minor cracks in the wood will keep me from using it. (I was going to include a picture, but the picture was too large a file, and I am not very proficient at this computer stuff.)

I plan to keep reading and working to get better. If I learn of any workshops in my area that I can get away for, I will plan to attemd. In the meantime, I find this to be a very gratifying hobby. I think I can even use the larger of the shavings in the bottom of the chicken house......

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081