Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Rolling pin *PIC*

Larry Hancock; Ardmore, OK
>A rolling pin is not the most glamorous of turning projects but I like to turn items that I know will be used and handled often. When I think of all the different pieces I have turned over the years it is the simple usable items that come to mind. I have tool handles, gavels, crochet hooks, baby rattles, pens, needle cases and more in countries around the world. Someone may be crocheting a blanket for their new grandchild, rapping sold on the auctioneers stand at Christies in London or rasping a horses hoof in Australia with a turned piece I created.

I have been in a kind of turning slump over the last year or so but now that I am busy turning again I really appreciate the opportunities I have been given by woodturning. I have met lots of great people and been given turning projects that challenged me to learn new techniques and methods of work.

Anyway, you'll be seeing more of me and the pieces I turn, simple and complex. This is a rolling pin of hard maple and purple heart, the handles also turn. The barrel is 3" in diameter and 12" long. The overall length is 22 1/2". There is no finish on the wood. I prefer to let the new owner of items used around food to select the oil or other treatment thay want applied. This was made as a birthday gift for today.

Thanks for looking.

Larry

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081