Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Thanks for your help--here's what I did *LINK*

Joanne Adler in Pt. Pleasant, PA
>A while ago I posted here asking your advice about doing a stone inlay in wood. I got a lot of great ideas and suggestions. I was building a cherry table for my parents and wanted to fill some knotholes with stone. I've posted the whole table story on the main message board, but I know some of you don't wander over there much, so I thought I should report back here as to what worked.

At the time I thought I'd use crushed stone. I was going to use turquoise, but then realized that my Dad had worked for years with stones like Malachite and Lapis Lazuli and I might still find some in his basement. How cool to put HIS stone in a table for his home! I did some test pieces and found I did not like the look of the crushed malachite or lapis. And the malachite had some nice swirls that reminded me of the cherry. I found enough cabechons to fit into the two big knotholes. I used some crushed or dust to fill shallow areas. On the test pieces, epoxy worked better than CA glue, so I used epoxy. In the first picture, you might be able to see the big knot in the middle of the tabletop and the one on the leg cross piece. I filled them a little with putty and then fit the malachite cabs in. I filled with crushed malachite or malachite dust and leveled the epoxy. Mostly, I'm pleased with the way it came out. There's a link below to the full story and more pics over on the other board. Thanks again for all your earlier help.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081