Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
What would you make with these blanks? *PIC*

GolfSteve in Calgary
>What would you make with these blanks? They are poplar and soaking wet.

I'm not much of a bowl turner but I'd like to make something nice for a charity auction that we run every October (we work in the Ukraine and Burma - it will be interesting to see if we can do anything for the Cyclone victims this year). The round blank looks like it should become a platter. The other two I have no idea. The round blank is about 10 to 12" in diameter.

I found that it was really hard to read grain direction in wet wood. There's about 10 other plain grained blanks that I am hoping will spalt to improve their appearance. Some of them smell like dog-crap :-( I have another nice crotchwood blank that is sitting in a garbage bag covered in dirt, miracle grow, and beer :-)

Any thanks to everyone who recommended that I buy a big lathe. A mini lathe would have been very limiting. I roughed out a wet blank last night and even with a big General 260 I was bogging the motor down. Vibration was pretty manageable. Now I just have to figger out how to use my bowl gouge properly. I switched to a scraper because it was a lot easier.

Thanks,
Steven

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081