Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Gloat or not?

steve antonucci
>So with much sadness, I must report the loss of my neighbors willow tree. Three houses went in together and at some point they all planted willow trees to try to suck up some of the extra ground water.

Sadly, my neighbors tree was on the ground last weekend. If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, did it make a sound? We may never know...

Now, this is not your ordinary weeping willow. You see, it has a trunk of approximately 20' in length completely covered in burls of all sizes. I almost feel like I jinxed it when I saw it the first time, but when I noticed it was laying on its side, I did a happy little jig.

I knocked one small burl off today, but spent 2 hours making it safe to cut around. There were limbs up in the trees, and various branches overhead. I did manage to have one hit me on top of the head (never saw it), but thankfully, I survived it.

So now the big question: Did I help my neighbor out of the goodness of my heart or did I clear all of the branches to get at a burl laden trunk?

Steven

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081