Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Liability from a charity auction?

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

I'm not looking for legal advice here, but just curious how others have done this.

Like Steve a few threads below, I've decided to offer an "Afternoon of turning" as a bid object at my kid's school fundrasier this spring. Talking to some of the people on the PTA, this idea is being very well received and I think it will generate some money for the school. When people see a piece I've done, they often ask "How did you do that?" This is a way to show/instruct someone who is really interested in this.

However, should I in any way be concerned about the liability of having a stranger in my shop and my teaching them to turn? Like all woodshops, there are lots of sharp things and the potential, however slight on a lathe, for personal injury is there. Also, though, I would obviously never let someone try something that I thought was dangerous and would be helping them along the entire project. The only tool they will be allowed to use is the lathe. I will have the blank prepped and ready to go.

For those that have done this, did you have your winning bidder sign a liability form or anything? Is that something I can write myself and have them sign or does a lawyer have to be involved to make it more legal? I'm not balking at the cost of hiring a lawyer to do this, but if it is not needed, then I won't persue it.

To be clear, I myself will not get any money for this, I am not being paid, all the money is being donated to the school.

Thanks!

Mike

Just covering the bases in Apex, NC

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081