Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Steady Rest - Pics

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

I finally got around to making a Steady Rest for my Jet Mini. Many thanks to Dominic Greco for his picture tutorial of his in the article section. Mine is very closely based on his.

I used 3/4 inch plywood sandwiched together for the body. I couldn't find "cheap" inline skate wheels, so ended up buying a cheap pair of kids inline skates, just for the wheels. They were only $14, but after using it, I think it would have been better to go ahead and buy decent wheels and pay more. These are really hard and tend to leave a groove in the piece of wood. I might try to mount them themselves and turn them smoother :)

Here's the rest:

and here it is in action: (I swear that my shop is not normally quite so messy. I mean, it's never clean, but it is usually not that bad!)

The vase in that picture turned out pretty good. It ended up being a birthday gift for a friend at work.

The rest works really well, but I was a little surprised at how much noise the wheels make when spinning. Again, a nicer set of wheels might work better.

Thanks for taking a peek and many thanks to Dom for his article!

Mike

Steady as she goes in Apex, NC!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081