Turning Archive 2008

Steady Rest - Pics

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

I finally got around to making a Steady Rest for my Jet Mini. Many thanks to Dominic Greco for his picture tutorial of his in the article section. Mine is very closely based on his.

I used 3/4 inch plywood sandwiched together for the body. I couldn't find "cheap" inline skate wheels, so ended up buying a cheap pair of kids inline skates, just for the wheels. They were only $14, but after using it, I think it would have been better to go ahead and buy decent wheels and pay more. These are really hard and tend to leave a groove in the piece of wood. I might try to mount them themselves and turn them smoother :)

Here's the rest:

and here it is in action: (I swear that my shop is not normally quite so messy. I mean, it's never clean, but it is usually not that bad!)

The vase in that picture turned out pretty good. It ended up being a birthday gift for a friend at work.

The rest works really well, but I was a little surprised at how much noise the wheels make when spinning. Again, a nicer set of wheels might work better.

Thanks for taking a peek and many thanks to Dom for his article!

Steady as she goes in Apex, NC!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.