Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Weighted Tool Handles....

Wally Dickerman in Arizona
>Some time ago,I added lead shot to the handles of some of my scrapers. If I'm installing a new handle I bore the hole for the tool a bit deeper than needed and add some lead shot. I bore an even deeper hole at the butt end and add shot using a temporary plug. When I feel that I have it right I glue the plug in. I feel that adding weight to give the right feel and balance helps to give a smoother more controlled cut with little or no vibration.

I recently received a bowl gouge and a detail gouge from Doug Thompson. I added lead shot in the same way when I installed the tools in their handles. I really like the feel and control that the added weight gives.

I have a couple of Glaser tools that are weighted of course. I prefer the feel of wood so don't use them very often. Also, the Glasers are a bit heavier than I like. Experimenting with the amount of shot gives me the custom fit and feel that I want.

I used to do a lot of skeet shooting and reloaded my shotshells using #9 shot. #9 is the smallest sized shot generally available. It's the same shot that Jerry Glaser used. Fortunately for me, I have some shot left over from my shooting days. Shot is available at some gun stores. It's a bit pricey at about $50 for a 25 lb. bag. It actually takes very little shot when weighting a handle, so 25 pounds is a lot of shot. Get your club to buy a bag. There really is no subsitute for small sized shot when weighting a tool handle.

Anybody else do this? I really recommend it.

Wally

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081