Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
It is Bird House Time (Almost) *PIC*

Mike Brazeau
>If spring ever arrives here in SW Ontario, it is time to get some more bird houses out there. I made one a couple of years ago which was a great success. Jenny Wren sings her heart out, just outside our front door and my den. This one is the prototype for a batch of 8 I am working on for my grand kids, nieces, neighbours etc. I am using up some scrap BC Cedar I have. Body is 6" in diameter by 7" high and is 9 staves. Hole is 1 1/4" for a wren. Roof is 8 compound staves (looks like more because I glued up two narrow boards). Am going to make the next ones with a slightly longer roof. A piece of log can be used for a roof instead of staves. Bottom is a piece from a dried up spruce 2x8 rescued from a building site. Finials are bits of spruce cutoffs I was saving to make wooden blocks for my grandkids and never get to. Anyone can make a bird house, only a turner makes round ones! Have added a 1/4" dowel perch since taking the photo. They are a great practical project. I almost feel like I am being drawn nto the segmented vortex, which I have always said I would not enter.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081