Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
I've decided to retire...

Steve Russell
>Hello to the group,

The cat's out of the bag... :-) After more than twelve years as a full-time production bowl turner, this red-headed Texan has decided to formally retire from production turning to concentrate exclusively on artistic woodturning. As I approach my forty-eighth year of perpetual motion, I've decided I'm getting a little long in the tooth for full-time production work! Sixteen to eighteen hour days do not come as easily as they once did it seems.

I'm very excited about finally having the time to do more complex projects and explore some new mediums. It's going to be a really strange transition for me though... In the past, I would never have the time to spend an hour fairing the curve on a piece to get it perfect. Not to mention, spending a week or more carving, inlaying and embellishing a complex piece. I'm looking forward to this new artistic journey of creative exploration.

As for my initial plans, I have always been intrigued by Grecian water and wine vessels from the fifth and sixth centuries. It was a magnificent time in human history for beautiful vessels and one that I could easily spend the rest of my life exploring and not run out of projects. Now, If I can just find the right piece of land in Maui's UpCountry, I can start thinking about building my next studio in Paradise. Retirement is going to be great! :-)

Steve Russell
Wednesday Night Turning Chat Moderator

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081