Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Sometimes You Get Lucky (1 of 2) *PIC*

charlie belden
>Last month Jimmy Clewes did a daylong demonstration at our club, Silicon Valley Woodturners. The first of the three pieces he turned that day began with a chunk of walnut ten inches long, four inches wide and about three inches thick - of black walnut. The piece was mounted between centers - five inches of wood on either side of center and the lathe was turned on and dialed up to the max rpms a Stubby lathe will go - which is around 3,000 RPMS!

Now despite his warning to the people sitting 10 feet behind
the lathe - no one in the Line of Fire moved - until the piece came up to about half its final speed. THEN people moved - and moved more when it maxed out at 3K rpms!

The sound diminished as the bottom of a "chinese lidded box" got closer and closer to it's final shape, which involved chucking to do the bottom of the bottom - which was pretty tricky to turn.

ANYWAY - the pieces he turned that day were raffle prizes - $5 a ticket. I bought four tickets and had the first number drawn. I chose the Clewes Chinese Lidded Box. It's not a fully finished piece - but it is signed and dated.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should buy a state lottery ticket or two and really press my luck.

Messages In This Thread

Sometimes You Get Lucky (1 of 2) *PIC*
Your luck is used up, Charlie *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081