Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
More Plumwood *PIC*

charlie belden
>Two more plumwood pieces from a neighbors tree pruning. Was on a droplet shaped rakuesque trip and did three basic variations of the same form with different proportions. The first turning was close, but not quite.

Then I stumbled on the Squeezed shape by accident. Doing the final shaping with a 1/2" curved edge skew I had to finish the roll before I got to where I wanted the curve to end. So I had a pretty deep cut 1/2" ABOVE where I wanted the bead for the foot of the piece. Rather than scale everything down to recover from the OOOOOPS I decided to go for a drop in a cup shape. And that led to doing a cap and more of a squeezed sphere look. Wanted a semi-pinched neck separate from the "cap", as if it was coming through a tight hole in the cap.

This Squeezed thing has some interesting possibilities. Presents some interesting "challenges" to work out - getting the illusion of three or four separate parts that fit together and getting the shapes to compliment each other. But the idea of making wood appear squeezable like a balloon . . .

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081