Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
A few amateur questions. I'm the amateur.

Ray Carson - Lawrenceville, NJ
>To the turning crew,

I find the process of pen turning very interesting and have been tempted many times to try my hand at some. It seems as though there is a lot involved with the whole process though. The "mini" lathes, mini tools, pen assembly ram thingy that installs the insert thing. (sorry, I'm weak on the technical terms but I DO understand the process) so...........

1) Okay...anything is possible, right? Is it possible, or should I ask, is it a difficult process to turn pens on a large lathe? Large meaning not a "mini" lathe.

2) Do I need a "mini" lathe?

3) What are some of the basic tools, speciality tools and accesories needed to make and assemble pens? What do I need to try a go at making a FEW pens.

4) Unless your making a lot of pens, is it worth while making just a few pens? Few being 12 or less. You know, just because you like playing football with the guys, it doesn't mean you have the "stuff" to play in the NFL. I don't want to spend tons of money on something that may not be bag. I may find it very frustrating. Maybe I'm thinking of defeat before I actually try, but I would like to test my skills.

By the way, I've looked into my local woodworking groups and there aren't many. I only know of one and it's a VERY basic handy man special type program. How to use a hand saw, how to hold a hammer and drive a nail without smashiing your finger...not that smashing your finger isn't important...but I know how to use a handsaw. That woodworking school wouldn't help me much.

5)Last question....can anyone recommend a book, website, DVD, etc. that might help or give me some insight to my questions.

Any advice is appreciated.
Ray

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081