Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Turn Horizontally - View Vertically *PIC*

charlie belden
>Coming up with "fair curves" and "fair curves" that flow together is a tricky thing - to do well. Any discontiunous continuity along the outline of the shape will be picked up by the "eye" and identified as "something's not quite right here".

We turn forms horizontally that will, when finished, be viewed standing or sitting upright.

I'm playing with some more plumwood, trying to striked a balance between going for the heartwood grain and going for a nice pinch neckish pot ( to use a clay turner's term for the form ). I have three "fair curves" to blend one into the next - the neck to upper body of the pot, upper pot body to both pot neck and lower pot body.

I thought I'd got the curves and their blending pretty close to right. Couldn't stand the whole thing up to really look at it vertically because the bottom on the drive end wasn't cut square.

Only AFTER parting the piece of from Between Centers was I able to see a problem with the neck curve to upper body curve. The upper part of the piece seems too thick/fat.

Attached is the piece take on the lathe Between Centers - one image of the piece horizontal, as seen while turning, and one standing upright as it will be seen when finished.

A little playing around with one picture of the piece on the lathe PhotoShop, a copy turned to see the piece upright and the problem area neck to body transition was obvious, whereas it wasn't that noticable - to me - while on the lathe. I can of course fit it once in a chuck and before I begin hollowing but it would be nice to see problems while still Between Centers.
(BTW - this is "green" wood so the yellowish areas will fade into the background when dry)

Do others have the same difficulties "seeing things that just ain't right" while the piece is mounted horizontally which seem to become more obvious when the piece is upright?

If so, and you've found a way around the horizontal/vertical perception thing, how do you do it?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081