Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Shop built Marking knives and awls

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA
>Hello Everyone,

I figured that since this is wood turning, I'd post this here as well as over on the Handtool forum.

Here are a couple marking knives and awls I made over the past week. The first one was made from some spalted Dogwood. It had some any holes that were filled with epoxy and coffee grounds. The ferrule is a 3/8" brass compression nut that was turned smooth. The "blade"is a section of HSS left over from a bunch I had purchased from ENCO last year (I made some 3 point turning tools). Since the wood was so "busy looking", I kept the shape simple.

After this success I decided to get fancy and cut up an old planer blade and formed (2) marking knife blades. I made a simple jig to work with my Veritas Grinder Tool Rest and ground the edge. Then I got fancy and honed and polished the faces so that they shone. I then used some ebony, and some bubinga scraps to make the handles. Like before, I used compression nuts as the ferrules.

It's pretty much the same story with the bubinga awl as with the dogwood one. Except I used a section of 3/16" HSS rod as the blade. I wanted something with a bit more heft, and a steeper angle to the point.

I admit, I went a bit over the top when it came to sanding. All were sanded to 15000 grit (micro mesh). I guess that's my old pen turning influence showing up again!

The finish is multiple coats of Watco's Danish Oil followed by a coat of Renaissance Wax.

Thanks for Viewing!

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081