Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Dust Collector /Turning problem?

Barry Irby
>I have not hooked my DC up to the lathe or even made a hood for it. I bring the hose up close when I am sanding and hook it in the banjo, but other than that I just let the shavings fly and use the DC to vac them up with a four inch hose.

Yesterday I sucked up the shavings from a sycamore hollow form and noticed the DC making a sort of odd vibration/noise. My DC is outside in a small closet and the pipe for it comes straight through the wall. I pulled the fitting off the inside and found the impeller pretty well covered in nice stringy shavings. (Its a Delta 1 1/2hp unit with an upper filter bag and a lower plastic bag.) I reached in through the pipe (6" S & D PVC) and brushed the shavings off. Spun it up and then cleaned off the little bit that was left.

I have been using the DC in this set up for about three years. Never noticed this before. I am wondering if it would have cleared itself if I had left it alone? I also noticed the vanes were rough around the edges. Clearly just crude stampings with no effort to finish or smooth the edges. I am wondering if it would be worth while to file the edges smooth? Would they be less likely to grab stuff out of the air/would it slide off better? OTOH, I don't want to through it out of balance.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081