Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Jet Dust Collectors and ACL update

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

Thanks to all those who sent notes and gave advice/comments on my ACL injury. My surgery was Wed the 23rd and things seem to be progressing nicely. The Doc said everything went really well and I should up and jogging in about 10-12 weeks. I am still on crutches and managing the pain. My first PT appointment is tomorrow, wish me luck!

The last thing I did Tuesday night before the surgery was to spend an hour or so in the shop cleaning so that when I get back to it in a few weeks, there is at least a clean space to go to. To make a long story short, in a moment of inattention, I managed to suck up an aerosol can of super glue accelerant into my Jet DC1100! I made a desperate reach for the off switch, but before I could get there, BANG! There was a loud crash sound and the unmistakable smell of super glue accelerant in the air. I switched off the DC, fearing the worst. I took it all apart and the only damage I could find inside was that the impellor seemed to be scratched. No dents, no broken fan blades, nothing. I went ahead and emptied the bag and found the pieces of the aeresol can. The fan shredded it like confetti. I'm really surprised and amazed at how tough that fan is!

In the spirt of "they don't make things like they used to", I'd have to say I cannot imagine that dust collector fans could be any tougher as I fully expected mine to be broken, but after putting things back together, it worked like a champ. Kudos to Jet.

Now, if my new ACL will perform as well, I'll be back on the pitch and back in the woodshop in no time!

Mike

Alive, but not yet kicking, in Apex, NC!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081