Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Something to watch out for

Ellis Walentine
>In my 49 years of woodturning, I have never had an experience like the one I had last Sunday. I was hollowing a little cherry pot/vase using a small goose-neck Jordan hollowing tool. I had to swing the tool into the somewhat long neck of the vase because of the curvature of the goose-neck shank, but when I finished my cut, I inadvertently pulled the tool straight out instead of swinging it. This had the effect of jamming the tool in the neck of the vase.

Well, I had never seen a lathe tool go from 0 to 1500 rpm in zero seconds flat, but that's what happened. By the time I could let it go, the rubber-coated handle had already sizzled the crook of my hand. Today I have some dandy blisters to show for it, along with a new respect for this particular danger. It could have been worse.

After reflecting on my experience for a while, I had an even creepier thought: What if I had been using a tool with a forearm clip? A catch like that would have spun my whole arm off in a split second!

I don't mean to sound alarmist; I just wanted to let you know about something that could ruin your whole day.

Ellis

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081